Knowlege is power and the more we know about the laws that regulate our industry, the less chance there is that someone can take advantage of us.
I’ve written about the labor code before, but today let’s talk about California Code Labor Code Section 1700.40.
This is the section of the California labor code that deals with talent agents.
It says that an agent can’t be both an agent and a porn producer. You have to be either one or the other. It’s considered a conflict of interest if you try and act as both.
(a) No talent agency shall collect a registration fee. In the event that a talent agency shall collect from an artist a fee or expenses for obtaining employment for the artist, and the artist shall fail to procure the employment, or the artist shall fail to be paid for the employment, the talent agency shall, upon demand therefor, repay to the artist the fee and expenses so collected. Unless repayment thereof is made within 48 hours after demand therefor, the talent agency shall pay to the artist an additional sum equal to the amount of the fee.
(b) No talent agency may refer an artist to any person, firm, or corporation in which the talent agency has a direct or indirect financial interest for other services to be rendered to the artist, including, but not limited to, photography, audition tapes, demonstration reels or similar materials, business management, personal management, coaching, dramatic school, casting or talent brochures, agency-client directories, or other printing.
In other words, your agent can’t be your agent and your producer. It’s a conflict of interest and a violation of the California labor code.
- Kendra Lust runs Society 15, which is owned at least in part by the guy who owns Arch Angel. Kendra Lust also has her own movie line where she books talent for her own line of movies.
- Nexxt Level is run by two guys, both of which who work as directors.
- Hussie Models runs Hussie Auditions, a website and now DVD line.
- Shy Love of The VIP Connect has been working as an agent and a producer for more than a few companies.
- Tee Reel of Ideal Image Models works as a director/producer and male talent where he books girls form his own roster.
Since these agents are in violation they face potential criminal charges if the state decides to go after them.
Let’s hope that the state gets tired of the repeat offenders and starts cleaning house soon.